- Computerized document processing (CDP) 1, 2 & 3
- Communication skills
- Short hand 1,2 & 3
- Office procedures 1& 2
- Secretarial duties
- Commerce 1 & 2
- Foundations of accounting
- Financial accounting
- Principals & practice of management
NB: Course duration is 2 years
We endeavor to promote a welcoming environment based on integrity, mutual respect and trust where all individuals feel they are valued and belong. We strive to excellence promoting the full potential of each individual developing confident and independent learners.
The Mercy Commercial College in Nguutani is situated in Nguutani market on the Thika Garissa Road in the Catholic Mission Nguutani compound. The College is under The Catholic Diocese of Kitui and is run by The Sisters of Mercy, Kenya.
The College opened its doors for the first time in 1991 and was registered in 1998. It serves mostly girls and on very few occasion a male student. This College was started in order to cater for girls who did not qualify for University and other government institutions. The College has two departments, Secretarial and Vocational Training. The Sisters wanted to give these girls a chance to better themselves. The college now admits students who have completed form four and has endeavored to keep the fees as low as possible.
The College has good structures which were built at the beginning by predecessors mostly with the Irish Government aid.
There are hostels for students in the school compound and all live in the college except for a few students. In the Secretarial Section, the students prepare their own meals. There is a kitchen and eating area.
For the Vocational Training, the college started preparing meals for the students in 2014 in order to promote the school. This was reverted back to self-catering in May 2017.
2015- 2017 the College did a lot of renovations which are as follows:
- Changed from wired windows to open windows.
- Painted all of the skills classrooms and dormitory
- Added 4 new computers and built 6 pit latrines
- Renovated the changing rooms
- Painted the college roofs and fixed cracks of floors and walls and many minor repairs.
- Painting the Typing room, Television room and one big classroom
Sister Caroline Kinyua from The Sisters of Mercy who took over from 2015 is the sister in charge of the college and oversees the entire smooth running of this Institution. She is assisted by Francisca Mwanzia the Deputy in charge.In overall, the College is comprised of 16 staff (Teaching and non-teaching staff).
- That by the end of two years: “We equip the young people with life skills for both home and in the job market”.
- To form an all rounded person.
To provide a distinctly empowering learning environment particularly tuned to learners’ individual needs so that all students achieve personal success and become responsible and productive citizens.
- Team work