Our Lady of Mercy Shauri Moyo girls primary school is the first school where Sisters of Mercy ministered in. It was founded as a girls only school because there was no girls school in that region yet there were several boys in Eastlands. Hence on 5th May 1956 two teaching Sisters of Mercy ; Srs. Consolata and Therese Noel, who had come to Kenya with two others following invitation of the Archbishop Mac Arthey, admitted approximately 300 African girls. At that time in the history of Kenya, very few African girls were sent to school. The parents could only afford to give formal education to boys while the daughters remained at home to look after the younger ones.
The girls would soon be married and be mothers hence formal schooling was considered not necessary. The school excelled in both academic and cultural activities. They won a cup at the Kenya Music Festival on their first entry and this gave all a great encouragement. Sisters of Mercy remained on the staff of the school up to 1994.