In 1957 following the call of Mercy to alleviate illitracy, the Sisters of Mercy founded yet another school in colloboration with the colonial government of the day at Nairobi South. Both Srs. Joseph Dunne and Therese Noel Gallagher were the first teachers who in January 1958 admitted the first students. At first the school was termed as a Goan school as it admitted only ‘Goan children who were the main inhabitants of Nairobi South. However before long other children came and the school became an interracial and interdenominational entity.
The school infrastructure constructed has developed over the years through Sisters hard work, fund raising and teachers’ savings from their teaching job. Our Lady of Mercy Primary School has a population of 1297 pupils as of the year 2020.
The enrolment has been as follows in the past years:
2019: 1245 pupils
2018: 1220 pupils
2017: 1256 pupils
2016: 1218 pupils