Sisters of mercy are founders of various Primary schools in Kenya and also sponsor some of the religious activities in the schools .The schools include the following

  • Our Lady of Mercy Shauri Moyo primary school.
  • Our Lady of Mercy primary school south B.
  • St Elizabeth primary school
  • St. Anne’s primary school.
  • Mukuru primary school
  • St Catherine and Bakhita primary school


Our lady of mercy Shauri Moyo was founded on 5th May 1956 by two teaching sisters; Srs. Consolata and Therese Noel who admitted approximately 300 African girls. At that time in the history of Kenya, very few African girls were sent to school. The parents could only afford to give formal education to boys while the daughters remained at home to look after the younger ones. The girls would soon be married and be mothers hence formal schooling was considered not necessary. The school excelled in both academic and cultural activities. They won a cup at the Kenya Music Festival on their first entry and this gave all a great encouragement. Sisters of Mercy remained on the staff of the school up to 1994


In 1957 the colonial government gave a grant towards the construction of a primary school at Nairobi South. Srs. Joseph Dunne and Therese Noel Gallagher went there in January 1958 and admitted the first students to the ‘Goan school’, our lady of Mercy South B. Soon the school became interracial and interdenominational. Further classrooms were required and were built by savings from teaching sisters’ salaries.


OLM Shauri Moyo was unable to accommodate all the girls seeking admission there hence the need for another girls’ primary school in Eastlands area. In 1960 Sr. Eileen Byrne went as headmistress, to the newly built St. Anne’s primary school, approximately a metre away from Shauri Moyo. Sisters of Mercy remained on the staff of the school up to 1990.


In the early 1980s Sr. Mary Killeen used to meet on her way to and from Our Lady of Mercy primary school south B many children from the nearby Mukuru slums, who were out of school or had never been to school because of their inability to pay the different school levies of those cost-sharing days. At first she admitted some of them into our Lady of Mercy but having boys of fourteen years of age in the same class as six year olds was not satisfactory. Sr. Mary advised the parents to request the local district officer to identify a site in Kayaaba for a Centre. Thus, with the help of missionaries of Africa of South B parish, Mukuru Promotion Centre (MPC) started in 1985 as a formal primary school so that their children could have more status in society. Sr. Mary went fulltime to Mukuru I 1990 and immediately set up Mukuru Kayaaba primary school.


In 1991, the parents of Lunga Lunga, Reuben and Mukuru central came looking for help for their children thus leading to the establishment of St. Catherine’s and St. Bakhita primary schools in 1992 and 1995 respectively. Initially, the schools had temporary classrooms of concrete floors and mabati galvanized sheeting walls and roofs but now have got permanent structures. It was soon realized that the children could not concentrate in school on empty stomachs. At first, a local businessman sponsored a school lunch programme until 1993 when world food programme came to their assistance. Also, many of the children were sickly so a clinic was set up to treat them and some very sick adults in the neighborhood. Social and community development workers were engaged to identify the neediest children as well as improve their living standards. The social workers soon discovered many HIV/AIDS orphans and abandoned street children in the villages.

 At first, the MPC cared for some of children in rented houses in slums but for genuine rehabilitation to take place, these children needed to be in a safer place away from temptations of substance and sexual abuse. Thus, King Baudouin’s Children’s Home came into existence in 1994. Currently, the home accommodates approximately 60 children who attend Bakhita Primary School.

Mary Immaculate Centre, South B was opened in 1996 to rehabilitate street boys of that area and if possible to integrate them into the formal education system and back into their families. About 80 boys are catered for at the Centre for the one-year programme, 20 of whom are accommodated there at nighttime. In 1994 a group of doctors from Trnava University Slovakia and Slovak businessmen set up Mary Immaculate Clinic on the same compound as St. Catherine’s School and Mary Immaculate Centre. As well as treating ordinary illnesses, the clinic also has a comprehensive HIV/AIDS programme in place


St. Elizabeth’s primary school has been into existence since 1991.It is the largest of all MPC primary schools with an enrolment of over 1320 children. St Elizabeth is known for its excellent performance in the national school choir competition.  The Lunga Lunga choir also has the distinction of producing a CD of their music. The school continued to operate in temporary classrooms up to when the German government took the project to rebuild it with permanent structures. The newly built school was ready for occupation in 2011.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *