Instead of transferring Mukuru Kayaba primary school to the new acquitted land from the government it was decided that a new school be built as there was still hundreds of children who had no access to education. This move saw the birth of St Bakhita in 1996 from a humble beginning with temporary classroom built from mabati or tinned structures. The school started off with over 200 pupils with more than 50% being boys.
St. Bakhita Primary school is located on the new Likoni road, Industrial area and shares a compound with St. Michael’s Secondary School and Our Lady of Mercy Vocational Training Centre. The parents wished to call the new school after the late cardinal Otunga, who supported the development work among the poor, but the Cardinal requested the school be called St Bakhita after saint Josephine Bakhita for her great patient, love ,humility and understanding .This became the 4th primary school built and managed by the Sisters of Mercy ,under the auspices of Mukuru Promotion Centre .
Currently, St. Bakhita has a population of 972 pupils and over 20 teachers as of 2020.
The enrolment has been as follows in the past years:
2019: 1034 pupils
2018: 986 pupils
2017: 825 pupils
2016: 938 pupils